Update for Wednesday, March 18, 2020 @ 4:00 pm
District Office Sanitized: Today, the District Office was largely vacated due to the earthquake. During that time, a staff member was able to go through and sanitize it. As the District Office has remained open during the dismissal, we felt it important to continue to minimize any risks to staff and visitors.
Earthquake Damage Report: Our maintenance staff has conducted a thorough inspection of District buildings and report very little or no damage.
Digital Home Learning: As of right now, we will resume our Digital Home Learning program tomorrow, Thursday, March 19. Obviously plans can change quickly, but we will alert parents and students of any change to that schedule by our channels of communication (website, email, phones, and social media). And, just to reiterate, we did cancel ALL Digital Home Learning activities for TODAY, following the earthquake.
School Lunch: Again, as of right now, school lunch will also resume operations tomorrow, Thursday, March 19 at all of the schools. It’s worth repeating the information we have shared the last two days regarding school lunch, so here are those details:
- Our school lunch program will continue from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm each day (12:30 pm is a hard stop so please arrive early).
- Meals served at these previously designated high-need schools will be free to ALL children 0-18 years: Parkside Elementary School, Horizon Elementary School, Liberty Elementary School, Viewmont Elementary School, Hillcrest Jr. High School, Fireclay (162 W. 4490 S.), and Frontgate (4623 S. Urban Way).
- Meals provided at the schools listed below are per student eligibility. Student lunch ID numbers will be required at pickup: Grant Elementary School, Longview Elementary School, McMillan Elementary School, Riverview Jr. High School, and Murray High School.
- We are awaiting approval from the USDA on permission to offer a grab-and-go breakfast option and will let you know when that is ready to go.
- School crossing guards will be onsite to assist with the safety of those picking up lunches.
- Click here to read our UPDATED official disclosure of food service provided.
Internet/Technology Performance: We mentioned in yesterday’s daily briefing that we were addressing performance issues with Canvas and other software. Since that time, our IT team has been able to add capacity to our filtering software that should help improve technology performance issues. However, please keep us posted as you encounter issues so that they can be addressed. We hope you will continue to be patient as we optimize our systems.
Chromebook Pickup: We will resume Chromebook pickup for those families who have not done so previously between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:00 pm at the District Office. However, in keeping with social distancing guidelines, we will only allow five visitors into the building at one time, so we ask for your patience in waiting outside or in your cars until invited in. We will watch carefully to ensure this proceeds as efficiently as possible.
How to talk to Kids About Earthquakes: We are providing some resources today from The National Child Traumatic Stress Network that you may consider using on how to talk to children about earthquakes. We recognize this is a very challenging time for all of us. Communication is important, so please consider these resources.