PLEASE NOTE DURING THIS DRILL STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO WALK HOME AND WILL ONLY BE RELEASED TO AN ADULT
Purpose: To assist the school, parents, students and community responders in practicing and evaluating the best way to conduct a full school, off-site evacuation, and parent reunification, in case of incident (natural disaster, building safety issue, violence).
Participants: Liberty school staff, Liberty students, Liberty parents, Murray City Police.
Plan Ahead: Please have students leave bikes, scooters, skateboards, etc. home on the day of the drill. The students will not be able to take them to the
- Heritage Center
during the drill. We encourage you to participate in our drill by picking up your child at the assigned time. It is valuable for all of us to have and practice an emergency plan. Lastly, please talk to your child(ren) about this drill, and it’s purpose, to prepare them for what will take place; especially those that may struggle with transitions, change, or the unknown.
At 1:50 on Wednesday, April 25th, teachers will walk their classes east on 6100 South, to the Heritage Center located at 10 E 6150 S.
- Students will not be available for parents to “check out” during the time they are walking to the Heritage Center and until they are settled in their Color Zones.
Teachers will take their classes to the zones that will be designated near the building. Parents will pick up their children from an area located near the street. Runners and walkie talkies will be used to collect and reunite children.
**Parents will come to the Heritage Center no earlier than 2:15 pm to pick up their child/children. Students will not be released until we are sure all students have been accounted for and are at the Heritage Center. PLEASE bring photo ID, it will be required. Parking will be extremely limited, we encourage you to walk if you live nearby.
*Please come at the follow time based on neighborhoods:
- Green Zone- 2:15
- Red Zone- 2:30
- Black Zone- 2:40
- Purple- 2:50
- Blue- 3:00
Students with siblings will be grouped together and expected to wait together. Older siblings should look for younger siblings.
Daycare busses and School busses will NOT be provided on this day. In the event of a real emergency, these busses would not be at the school. Please treat this drill as a real emergency. It is critical you have your emergency contacts up to date and you make prior arrangements to pick up your child if needed. We realize this may be an inconvenience, but also feel strongly that your child’s safety is important.
Be prepared to show your photo ID. Teachers will be set up at tables checking photo ID prior to releasing any student.
- If you are picking up students other than your own, please be sure that their parent has contacted the school and has you listed as an approved emergency contact.
You can update your emergency contact information online at sisweb.murrayschools.org or by calling the school office at 801-264-7424 by April 20th. We need adequate time to prepare our records.
- Please leave as soon as you get your children to help reduce congestion at the Heritage Center.
- It is anticipated that we will not have enough time to release all students before the 3:15 end of school day. It is possible that you may end up standing in line and not get your child before the end.
We apologize for this inconvenience, but appreciate the opportunity to practice. In the case of a real emergency, parents will not have prior notice and will arrive in a more staggered fashion, perhaps over the course of several hours. The drill is an opportunity for us to learn what works and what doesn’t.
Please call the main office if you have any questions beforehand at 801-264-7424.
- This is a learning opportunity for the school and community. It will be somewhat chaotic, mistakes will be made, and some people will feel frustrated.
- We ask for your patient cooperation and your very best example for our students of how to act and react in a stressful situation.
- We appreciate your support and welcome your feedback after the Mock Evacuation/Reunification Drill. You may call, email, or visit to share your ideas and concerns.
- We appreciate you taking the time to determine your family plan for the day and working within the guidelines we’ve set above. Ultimately, we will all end up with a better understanding of how we’d do things for ourselves and our families in the case of a real emergency. Hopefully we’ll all feel more comfortable with the plans the school and each family has in place. Thanks for your support!
5300 S. to 5900 S., State St. to 300 W. includes ALL houses on 5900 South
Any houses between 5900 S. and Winchester- State St. to 300 W.
Winchester (includes Winchester) to 6900 S. – State St. to 300 W.
All houses in boundaries WEST of 300 W. and zip codes on special permit 84107, 84123, and 84047
All special permits with zip codes other than 84107, 84123, or 84047